Guru (teacher/ master) is a word from the ancient Sanskrit language which means, the one who removes darkness with light.
Guruvine thedi (The quest for my Guru) is a pure, musical, short film without dialogues that explore a simple theme – the universe gently guiding a child, in his quest, to find his Guru.
The musical soundtrack of the film is composed around “Mizhavu”, a percussion instrument unique to the south Indian state of Kerala.
All the characters in the film appear as themselves. The father, the son and the mizhavu (percussion) performer are as they are in real-life.
Little Appu, enticed by the early morning call of a drummer, sets in pursuit of the source of the sound. His quest leads him to a percussionist practising his art on the Mizhavu, a traditional percussion instrument. The drummer is in solitude, the ocean and sky as his sole witness.
Appu becomes mesmerised.
The rhythm sways his heart. It grows. Every day, he watches the drummer practising his art. The beat is now with him, when awake and when asleep.
His kind father is a silent witness to the transformation of his son. The wise man is intelligent. He does not interfere, but rather observes.
He stands aside because he knows that the universe is calling.
When the time arrives for Appu to submit himself to his Guru, he sends him with his blessings.
And, when little Appu, finally submits himself to the Guru, the father, the ocean and sky are sole witnesses.
- Anup Narayanan: Director, The 137 Auditions of Avrahaam Yaakob
- Anup Narayanan: Writer, The 137 Auditions of Avrahaam Yaakob
- Opencinemas: Producer, The 137 Auditions of Avrahaam Yaakob
- Kalamandalam Anoop: Key Cast, “Mizhavu Player (Percussionist)”
- Amarnad Sreedharan: Key Cast, “The little boy”
- Sreedharan S: Key Cast, “Father”
- Hesham Abdul Wahab: Music, Capuccino, The 137 Auditions of Avrahaam Yaakob,
- Prasad Yogi: Cinematography, Ente Hridayathinte Vadakku Kizhakke Attath
- Happy Jose: Recording and mixing, Ente Hridayathinte Vadakku Kizhakke Attath
- Project Title (Original Language): ഗുരുവിനെ തേടി
- Project Type: Short
- Runtime: 6 minutes 26 seconds
- Completion Date: June 18, 2020
- Production Budget: 2,300 USD
- Country of Origin: India
- Country of Filming: India
- Language: Malayalam
- Shooting Format: Digital
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Film Color: Color
This film is about silence. And, silence to me is not the absence of noise. Silence is that space where we can hear ourselves and the call of the universe.
This film, for me, is a personal journey into a special space, where I can hear myself and the universe. I have depicted this experience by using elements like Mizhavu (percussion instrument), the sound of the ocean, the waves and the red colour of the soil. The principal characters – little Appu, the father and percussionist – personify human beings who are close to nature, who are pure.
They are the ones who can hear the call of the universe.