When RMS Titanic sank on a cold night in 1912, barely 700 people escaped with their lives. Among them were six Chinese men. Arriving in New York with the other survivors, the six were met not with compassion, but suspicion and slander. Less than 24 hours later, they were expelled from the country, soon forgotten, and lost beneath the waves of time.
What became of them? The answer is the story of so many like them, who travel thousands of miles from their homes in search of better lives, only to be met by hostility, hysteria, and walls at the border. The Six is an extraordinary story of survival and dignity in the face of racism and anti-immigrant policy that still reverberates today.
In an epic journey that crosses continents, The Six follows an international team of investigators as they set out to uncover the truth about the six Chinese, and to right a century-old injustice. For the first time, we discover who these men really were, tracing their origins and tracking down descendants denied access to their history. We shine light on the dark legacy of immigration policy, and on the sacrifices of migrants.
- Arthur Jones Director A Farewell Song, The Poseidon Project
- Arthur Jones Writer A Farewell Song, The Poseidon Project
- Luo Tong Producer A Farewell Song, The Poseidon Project
- Steven Schwankert Key Cast “Steven Schwankert” The Poseidon Project
- Nick Ware Executive Producer Becoming Cary Grant, Sour Grapes
- James Cameron Executive Producer Aliens, The Terminator, Titanic, Avatar
- Nate Wang Editors The Killing Game
- John Mister Editors Magic Medicine, Born to Be Free
- Tom Gilbert Cinematographer
- Project Title (Original Language): 六人-泰坦尼克上的中国幸存者
- Project Type: Documentary
- Runtime: 1 hour 38 minutes
- Completion Date: January 31, 2020
- Production Budget: 1,100,000 USD
- Country of Origin: China
- Country of Filming: Canada, China, United Kingdom, United States
- Language: Chinese, English
- Shooting Format: 4K digital
- Aspect Ratio: 1.9:1
- Film Color: Color
- QC Media Co., Ltd.
Rights: All Rights
News & Reviews
- “Why you’ve never heard of the six Chinese men who survived the Titanic” The Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/04/19/why-youve-never-heard-of-the-six-chinese-men-who-survived-the-titanic/
- “No Hollywood ending: Documentary tells the harrowing story of six Chinese mariners who survived the sinking of the Titanic, but were then locked up and kicked out of America within HOURS” Dailymail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5635393/Six-forgotten-Chinese-survivors-Titanic-featured-new-documentary.html
- “How six Chinese men survived the Titanic disaster, and the racist US federal law that ensured their obscurity – a story told only now ” South China Morning Post https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2141549/how-six-chinese-men-survived-titanic-disaster-and-racist-us-federal
Just over four years ago, we started to talk about making a film about the Chinese survivors of the Titanic. As we started research, we came to realize that this incredible story carried huge resonance. In China itself, where James Cameron’s Titanic is one of the most successful films of all time, almost no-one knows that there were eight Chinese passengers onboard. Their story is remarkable and unique.
The Six research team has tracked the story from China to the US, Canada, and the UK – and in each location there is a vibrant, visual narrative on an epic scale. Plus, using new reconstructions we have a brand new perspective on the escape from Titanic itself.
As an Englishman based in China for the last 20 years, I feel powerfully drawn to the story, which unites my homeland and my adopted country. We are excited to be bringing The Six to audiences in China and around the world.